MSU field hockey stages comeback to win Big Ten Tournament

For the first time since 2009, the MSU field hockey team is Big Ten Champions.

Senior midfielder Adelle Lever scored the game-winner with less than eight minutes left in the game to clinch the Big Ten Championship for MSU over Iowa, 3-2.

The Spartans (12-9 overall, 4-2 Big Ten) trailed Iowa 2-0 at the half, but outscored the Hawkeyes 3-0 in the second half for the comeback.

With the win, MSU clinches its first NCAA Tournament bid since 2010.

In the second half, Lever needed several attempts to win the game. She fired a shot a few minutes after Barker tied the game, but it went wide. She shot a minute-and-a-half later, only for it to go wide again. With under 14 minutes left in the game, she sent in a third shot only for it to be saved by Boyce.

But with under eight minutes left, Lever found the back of the net by scoring off a rebound.

The goal gave MSU 3-2 lead, which they would hold onto to win the Big Ten Tournament and clinch a berth in the NCAA Tournament.

Junior forward Abby Barker scored two goals in the second half to lead the comeback. Senior midfielder Katherine Jamieson, junior forward Heather Howie and senior midfielder Kristen Henn each added an assist.

Senior goalkeeper Molly Cassidy had two saves. Iowa goalkeeper Kelsey Boyce had three saves.

The Hawkeyes were in control during the first half, outshooting the Spartans 7-6 and scoring two goals.

Iowa sophomore forward Natalie Cafone had a shot go wide in the first three minutes of the game. Freshman forward Stephanie Norlander fired a shot not long after that went wide.

Cafone beat Cassidy by striking the upper-right side of the cage for the first score of the game.

Kelsay Mitchell scored again for Iowa with under four minutes left in the first half. She received an assist from Stephanie Norlander and beat Cassidy to score at the upper-right of the cage.

The Spartans couldn’t convert in the first half, as they had four corner attempts along with the seven shots.

Typically a team stronger in the first half, it was the second half where MSU found its offense. Barker sent in her 15th goal of the season by striking the ball into the lower right of the net five yards out.

Barker continued her strong effort, scoring her second and final goal of the game toff a penalty with under 13 minutes left to tie with Iowa, 2-2. Howie assisted on the goal.

The NCAA Tournament will take place from Nov. 22-24 in Norfolk, VA.

Share and discuss “MSU field hockey stages comeback to win Big Ten Tournament” on social media.