Sunday, May 12, 2024

Mitten wonderland: What to do in Michigan this winter

The harsh Michigan winter months are approaching, but don’t fret. Instead of hibernating until spring, explore one of Michigan’s winter destinations to make this year’s snowy season full of fun. Comprised of 30-foot ice sculptures, ice skating, dog sled rides, horse-drawn carriages and several other activities, these winter havens will make you get in the holiday spirit.

Frankenmuth

For most Michiganians, it’s hard to think about winter fun and not have Frankenmuth come to mind. During the holiday season, Frankenmuth, located almost 15 miles from Saginaw, Mich., offers an array of sights to ignite the Christmas spirit, including the Holiday Celebration and Candlewalk, which has Christmas caroling, a visit from Santa and lighting of the community Christmas tree; and Zehnder’s Snowfest, including snow sculpting and ice carving competitions. Frankenmuth also is home to Bronner’s Christmas Wonderland, known as the world’s largest Christmas store.

Mackinac Island

Selected as one of HGTV’s Top 10 Christmas Towns in America, this popular summer destination has made an impact on visitors during the winter months as well. As Victorian-style homes draped in Christmas lights line the streets, residents and visitors are transported through town solely by horse-drawn carriages and the occasional snowmobile. The quaint island is one that many would say is frozen in time, providing visitors with a pleasant and relaxing getaway much different from the traditional resort. If the weather is bad, make sure to check whether the ferries still are running to the island before booking a trip. The Arnold Transit Co. takes people to Mackinac Island on a limited schedule from St. Ignace, Mich. until the ice freezes.

Boyne Resorts

Boyne Resorts offer two top ski destinations — Boyne Highlands, in Harbor Springs, Mich., and Boyne Mountain, in Boyne Falls, Mich. The resorts offer a charming lakeside setting, dog sled rides, skiing, snowboarding, tubing, ice skating, snowmobiling, zip lining, horse-drawn sleigh rides and much more for visitors to enjoy their time in the cold weather.

Campus Martius Park

The ice rink at Campus Martius Park, located at the corner of Michigan Avenue in downtown Detroit and across the street from the Compuware World Headquarters, gives visitors the opportunity to ice skate where Olympic champions have performed, relish the scenery and enjoy various dining options. Visitors also can enjoy the annual Thanksgiving Day Parade and witness the magic of the city’s 60-foot tree-lighting ceremony, all from the ice skating rink in the heart of downtown Detroit.

Winter Carnival in Houghton, Mich.

Transforming Houghton, Mich., into a winter wonderland since 1922, the Winter Carnival at Michigan Technological University brings several large intricate snow and ice sculptures to the campus and community — some as tall as 30 feet high — to celebrate the abundant snowfall the city often experiences. This event also features broomball, comedy skits, fireworks, sleigh rides, ice bowling, skiing, dog sledding and other winter activities.

Wayne County Lightfest

Every year beginning this month, Hines Park, located in Westland, offers the longest holiday drive-through light show in the Midwest, featuring more than a million lights displayed across more than four miles. Opening night on Nov. 14 will include fireworks and family pictures with Santa to kick off the holiday season.

Share and discuss “Mitten wonderland: What to do in Michigan this winter” on social media.