Monday, July 8, 2024

International enrollment, study abroad program nationally ranked

When it comes to students studying abroad and international enrollment, the 2013 Open Door Report released by the Institute of International Education on Monday established MSU as a leader in international engagement, at least in plurality.

MSU had the fourth most students sent abroad in the 2011-2012 school year, according to the report, with 2,380 students studying abroad. This equates to almost five percent of the university’s total enrollment.

From 2004 to 2011, MSU remained in second place nationally behind New York University, sending 2,577 MSU students abroad in the 2010-2011 school year.

This represents a decline of nearly 200 students from the previous year.

MSU offers more than 275 study abroad programs in more than 60 countries.

MSU did place first in one category — with 2,051 students, the number of undergraduate students at a doctorate-issuing institution attending short-term study abroad programs is the highest in the country.

In terms of international students enrolled, MSU placed ninth with 6,759 students, making up about 14 percent of total enrollment. The University of Michigan edged above MSU in this category by 81 students, who made up about 16 percent of the student body.

This semester, MSU enrolled 7,161 international students at the university, with 4,519 undergraduates, 2,233 graduate students and 419 students not seeking a degree. According to the study, international enrollment increased 7.2 percent nationally last year. At MSU, enrollment increased about 8.5 percent between 2012 and 2013, according to annual statistical reports from the Office of International Students and Scholars.

The top five countries MSU international students originate from are China, Korea, India, Saudi Arabia and Taiwan.

Peter Briggs, the executive director of the Office of International Students and Scholars, said the increase in international student enrollment stems from MSU’s responsibility to equip a broader swath of students in a more globalized world.

Share and discuss “International enrollment, study abroad program nationally ranked” on social media.