Saturday, May 4, 2024

Update: McCowan concludes testimony in murder trial

<p>Alleged murderer Connor McCowan during his testimony Oct. 11, 2013, at the Ingham County Circuit Court in Lansing. McCowan is accused of fatally stabbing <span class="caps">MSU</span> student Andrew Singler after getting in a fight with him over text messages Feb. 23. Julia Nagy/The State News </p>

Alleged murderer Connor McCowan during his testimony Oct. 11, 2013, at the Ingham County Circuit Court in Lansing. McCowan is accused of fatally stabbing MSU student Andrew Singler after getting in a fight with him over text messages Feb. 23. Julia Nagy/The State News

Discrepancies between the actions and testimony of Okemos resident Connor McCowan were questioned during the defense side of his trial Friday morning..

McCowan, 19, was taken into custody by Meridian Township police just hours after he allegedly stabbed and killed MSU student Andrew Singler on Feb. 23. He called his mother, Judy McCowan, from the Ingham County Jail that morning, and testified Friday that he was “devastated” when she told him Singler had died.

Ingham County Assistant Prosecutor John Dewane played the recording of the call, attempting to prove McCowan sounded “calm.” McCowan became emotional, shedding tears in court as the call was played.

McCowan testified Friday that he did not show emotion in police custody out of disbelief involving Singler’s death. At the time, he said he thought Meridian Township police Sgt. Andrew McCready was attempting to get information from him.

“I wasn’t going to believe it,” McCowan said. “I thought there was no possible way Andrew had died. I thought (McCready) was trying to trick me.”

Attorney Chris Bergstrom attempted to prove a series of head injuries McCowan sustained playing high school sports his judgment. He attempted to call a clinical neuropsychologist to testify, but Ingham County Circuit Court Judge Clinton Canady III denied the request because McCowan was never formally examined for a concussion and any testimony would be considered “speculative.”

McCowan’s girlfriend also testified Friday. Okemos High School senior Olivia Sherman said McCowan never yelled or resorted to violence when the two argued.

McCowan’s trial is set to continue 8:30 a.m. Monday.

Share and discuss “Update: McCowan concludes testimony in murder trial” on social media.