Simon to receive honorary doctorate degree from rival Michigan

<p><span class="caps">MSU</span> President Lou Anna K. Simon discusses issues and topics surrounding the university with members of The State News on Sept. 19. Simon&#8217;s recent trip to Ireland focused on advancing mSU research initiatives. Khoa Nguyen/ The State News</p>

MSU President Lou Anna K. Simon discusses issues and topics surrounding the university with members of The State News on Sept. 19. Simon’s recent trip to Ireland focused on advancing mSU research initiatives. Khoa Nguyen/ The State News

Photo by Khoa Nguyen | The State News

MSU President Lou Anna K. Simon is expected to receive an honorary degree of laws in December from academic and athletic rival, the University of Michigan.

Simon and MSU University Relations did not have a comment in time for print, largely because Simon is visiting Ireland.

According to the U-M announcement, Simon will be honored because she “has expanded MSU’s reach in the state and around the world by focusing the university’s strengths on solutions that enhance and protect quality of life.”

She became MSU’s 20th president in 2005, after serving the university in several capacities, including assistant provost for general academic administration, associate provost, and provost and vice president for academic affairs.

In addition to her presidency at MSU, Simon serves as the chair of the National Collegiate Athletic Association Executive Committee, a position she was elected to in August 2012 — her term will end in August 2014. She also is on the board of directors of the Detroit Branch of the Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago and of the Business Leaders for Michigan.

Simon graduated from MSU with a doctoral degree in philosophy, administration and higher education in 1974 and has worked at the university ever since.

Her vision for the university has centered on expanding MSU’s global reach and research presence.

U-M’s Honorary Degree Committee, which recommended that Simon receive the recognition, includes the university’s president, Mary Sue Coleman.

Simon is one of five expected to receive an honorary degree. The degrees are pending approval by the U-M Board of Regents at its meeting Friday.

Share and discuss “Simon to receive honorary doctorate degree from rival Michigan” on social media.