East Lansing officials host Brew & Do event at Dublin Square Irish Pub

LEGOs, chicken wings and beer are not the kinds of items likely to be found at most city government functions, but the Brew & Do event held at Dublin Square Irish Pub Thursday night featured all of the above.

The event was part of the city’s weeklong comprehensive plan review initiative, centered around the idea of having an informal atmosphere to encourage participation from citizens of all walks of life. About 40 people were in attendance.

“I would say (to students) that being involved in the city is your civic responsibility,” East Lansing City Manager George Lahanas said. “We hope to make this a more relaxed environment and try something new, and by doing something new, we hope to get people involved that wouldn’t normally come to these kind of events.”

Some residents were skeptical of the event’s ability to gather input alienating certain demographics because of its location. City officials disagreed, calling the event a way to gather new ideas in a casual setting.

Brew & Do incorporated LEGOs that allowed attendees to “build” what they think should be constructed in different parts of the city. Different block combinations and multi-level mock buildings represented what each participant thought should be added to each individual area.

International relations senior Caleigh Nowlin took time to examine the city’s presentations describing proposed buildings and city structure. She said she appreciated the casual atmosphere.

“I came because I’m really interested in being a part of my city’s decision making process,” Nowlin said. “I like the location of the event, I would feel intimidated if it were in a city building, like I needed to be a city official to give my opinion. I love the idea that I could come back to MSU once I graduate and see something that I had input on actually became a part of the city.”

The city also provided an array of snacks, but participants had to purchase their own beverages. Most of the event was held in the bar area in small tables, with city officials explaining potential plans with the visual aid of large printed maps.

“I came because I have friends that are here, but I also am interested in politics,” East Lansing resident Amy Longabaugh said. “I want to be a part of the way my community is made. I know people on the commission listen to the opinion of the people who show up. If you don’t show up, what you say isn’t taken into consideration at all.”

Share and discuss “East Lansing officials host Brew & Do event at Dublin Square Irish Pub” on social media.