Tuesday, May 14, 2024

There and back again: pros and cons of dorm life

<p>Bondy</p>

Bondy

Not many students who roam the banks of the Red Cedar River can say they have made the transition from residence hall (or dorm) life to off-campus housing, and then back to dorm life — but I can.

After living in the dorms during my freshman year, I subleased from a co-worker during the summer in a house on Orchard Street. However, with the beginning of my sophomore year came the beginning of my second lap in dorm life, and the transition has not been easy thus far.

It’s fair to say I’m in a small group of students who’ve been given the opportunity to live the freedom of off-campus housing, only to return back to parental watch of the RA’s. However, with both on-and off-campus housing comes positives and negatives that make each still better than the options offered at other schools, like the University of Michigan. Then again, that can be said about plenty of things.

The dorms provide opportunities for students, and in many ways make life easier than living off campus. One of those aspects is the convenience of not relying on Ramen Noodles and Chef Boyardee Beefaroni as the No. 1 food group in my daily diet.

The quick walk up two flights of stairs to a wide array of freshly-made meals is a strong pull for the dorms and keeps many students on campus for more than one year.

Another strong appeal for the dorms is not having any random utility bills popping up when you least expect it. I cannot tell you how nice it is to take a 20-minute warm shower without the weight of a future $75 water bill hanging over my head.

The dorms also serve as a great social interaction tool and easy source to make new friends, but most have developed an inner friend group by the time sophomore year comes.

While those are few of the positives of calling the dorms home, the disadvantages pile up quickly.

The dorm experience is one of many pros and cons, and one of the biggest disadvantages I’ve already noticed is the lack of freedom to basically do whatever I want, whenever I want.

I’m not trying to sound like a reckless baboon that likes to throw parties every night of the week, but it’s annoying when you and a few friends can’t listen to music on a Thursday evening without the threat of cops and resident assistants knocking on your door. I’ve already had both those groups come into the room since moving back into the dorms two weeks ago.

Another tough transition getting re-acclimated to is splitting a room with another student. I love my roommate like a brother and he’ll probably be my best man one day — if I ever find a Mrs. Bondy, that is — but the switch from having my own room all summer to sharing a nest is something I’m still getting used to… again.

Having the option of driving while in college is another positive that comes with living off campus.

During the summer, I was able to drive to local grocery and retail stores in the area without any extra cost of a parking pass. And while this might sound lazy, potentially walking two miles to get to the closest on-campus parking lot is simply taxing.

In the past, I’ve been a huge fan of the dorms, and have credited a lot of my great first-year experiences to having the opportunity to live on campus; but after living off campus this past summer, it has opened my eyes to some of the bigger flaws of the residence halls.

Both living styles have positives and negatives, and unlike many at my age, both have given me two different perspectives at such an early point in my college career. The close walk across the street to my classes and world-class meals at any point of the day makes the dorms seem like a college student’s paradise.

But the fear of getting a noise complaint when you’re moderately blasting “Parking Lot Party” with a few friends on a Monday night makes me more and more excited to move off campus next year.

I’m ready to make my second transition from the dorms to an off-campus destination after this year ends. I’m just hoping the second time I move off campus will be my last.

Robert Bondy is campus editor at The State News. Reach him at rbondy@statenews.com

Share and discuss “There and back again: pros and cons of dorm life” on social media.