Cook named starter, Terry slated as backup against Youngstown State

<p>Sophomore quarterback Connor Cook throws the ball Sept. 7, 2013, at Spartan Stadium. The Spartans defeated the Bulls, 21-6. Julia Nagy/The State News</p>

Sophomore quarterback Connor Cook throws the ball Sept. 7, 2013, at Spartan Stadium. The Spartans defeated the Bulls, 21-6. Julia Nagy/The State News

Photo by Julia Nagy | The State News

Head football coach Mark Dantonio announced at his press conference today that sophomore Connor Cook will enter practice this week as the starting quarterback, while true freshman Damion Terry will prepare as the backup for MSU’s week three matchup against Youngstown State.

Cook got the first start of his career last week against South Florida, and finished six-for-11 through the air with 32 yards while splitting time with redshirt freshman Tyler O’Connor and senior Andrew Maxwell. Terry was withheld against the Bulls with a thumb injury and illness.

Dantonio said Terry will begin the week as the No. 2 man and he will evaluate whether the true freshman can handle the responsibilities throughout the week of practice. He said Tuesday he doesn’t want to burn Terry’s redshirt just to see him play one game, and that Terry won’t play if he’s unprepared.

Terry arrived this summer as a heralded four-star dual-threat quarterback prospect after a decorated senior season at Erie Cathedral Prep in Erie, Pa. Chants of “We want Terry,” have emerged from the student section in two home games so far this season.

In MSU’s second closed scrimmage of fall camp, Terry threw for 240 yards and three touchdowns and ran for 40 more against what was said to be primarily first-team defenders. according to a release from the athletics department.

Share and discuss “Cook named starter, Terry slated as backup against Youngstown State” on social media.