Friday, September 20, 2024

Planning commission weighs proposal to cap patrons at downtown bars

A city proposal that would effectively prevent the development of future bars downtown is on the backburner for the time being.

At its Wednesday night meeting, the East Lansing Planning Commission voted unanimously to defer consideration of the proposal, a city-staff approved measure that would cap the number of patrons at establishments serving alcohol past midnight to 3,300.

Because the current approved occupancy allowed at such businesses already is 3,892, the proposal would effectively prevent any future bars in East Lansing from opening unless another closed. The report indicates the proposed seating cap would not affect bars and restaurants already in place However, the seats would be on a first come, first serve basis.

If passed, the proposal also would revise the 50/50 rule substantially, which designates businesses prove only 50 percent of revenues come from the sale of alcoholic drinks. Staff recommendations include modifying enforcement and reporting requirements of the rule, as well as allowing different types of businesses to have different ratios of revenues from alcoholic drinks.

To acquire a higher alcohol ratio under the proposed policy, a business would have to be open for two years, have 150 seats or less and demonstrate that they are a responsible, established restaurant.

Darcy Schmitt, the city’s planning and zoning administrator, said the proposal was meant to address the high concentration of bars in downtown East Lansing and keep bar patrons safe. She said the number of businesses serving alcohol after midnight was not the city’s main concern.

However, others members of the planning commission seemed to have different views on the enormity of the change.

“I don’t think the possibility of historical downtown restaurants closing looks good for East Lansing,” said Julie Jones-Fisk, vice-chair of the planning commission.

Planning commissioner Stephen Wooden also voiced his concern on the overflow of students into local neighborhoods and creating more problems in other parts of East Lansing because of bars closing.

“I definitely have questions about the issue, and I know patrons of the local bars will be eager to see how it plays out,” Wooden said.

Planning, Building and Development Director Tim Dempsey thought putting a cap on bar patrons downtown would not necessarily mean larger parties in the city.

“Police have gotten a lot better at patrolling neighborhoods and breaking up big groups,” Dempsey said. “They are also seeing fewer numbers in regards to large parties.”

No date has been set for future discussion on the issue.

Editors’ note: the headline of this article has been changed to reflect the vote taken by the East Lansing Planning Commission on Wednesday night.

Share and discuss “Planning commission weighs proposal to cap patrons at downtown bars” on social media.