Friday, September 20, 2024

Proposal would limit patrons at city bars

East Lansing officials are considering a proposal that would effectively prevent future bars from opening downtown, according to a staff report obtained by The State News.

The East Lansing Planning Commission is set to consider a proposal from city staff Wednesday that would cap the amount of patrons at all establishments serving alcohol past midnight to 3,300 people.

Because the current approved occupancy allowed at such businesses already is 3,892, the proposal would effectively prevent any future bars in East Lansing from opening unless another closed. The report indicates the proposed seating cap would not affect bars and restaurants already in place.

The city has been under a temporary moratorium on accepting applications for businesses serving alcohol after midnight since March. Darcy Schmitt, the city’s planning and zoning administrator, said the new proposal is a result of a comprehensive staff review conducted on the area where most bars are concentrated.

Schmitt said the main drive behind the proposal was the safety of bar patrons, and noted the concentration of bars in downtown East Lansing was the issue, not the number of businesses serving alcohol after midnight.

“We have a lot of people exiting out of one area into downtown at one time and we actually find that it becomes more problematic than actual establishments open until 2 a.m.,” Schmitt said. “We can maintain the safety now, but if the seats in that area continue to grow, it will be more difficult for the police staff to keep the students safe. … It’s not to keep the students from drinking, it’s to keep them safe while they are intoxicated.”

If passed, the proposal also would revise the 50/50 rule substantially, which designates businesses to prove only 50 percent of revenues come from the sale of alcoholic drinks. Staff recommendations include modifying enforcement and reporting requirements of the rule, as well as allowing different types of businesses to have different ratios.

“Local businesses that serve alcohol are not a fan of the 50/50 rule. However, we are looking to make exceptions for businesses that don’t exceed the seat cap,” said Stephen Wooden, a member of the planning commission.

Wooden said he still had several questions about the implications of the proposal.

Garry Boyd, the “ringleader” of HopCat’s parent company Barfly Ventures, said some East Lansing establishments are worried about the potential impact such an ordinance would have.

“We are very fortunate to have gotten our license when we did,” Boyd said.

Some students also seem concerned about the possibility that the night scene in downtown will become stagnant.

“We always go to the same places and they are always packed,” said Alex Zuker, a civil engineering junior. “I feel like the new restrictions could cause a lack of variety.”

Staff reporter Ariel Ellis contributed to this report.

Share and discuss “Proposal would limit patrons at city bars” on social media.