College Libertarians spread awareness about Syria as U.S. considers intervention

<p>Daniel Katz, philosophy and sociology of science and religious studies junior, holds a &#8220;Make Love Not War&#8221; sign Sept. 3, 2013, outside Wells Hall. The Michigan State College Libertarians and the Young Democratic Socialist Organization joined together outside Wells Hall to spread awareness about potential military action in Syria. Julia Nagy/The State News </p>

Daniel Katz, philosophy and sociology of science and religious studies junior, holds a “Make Love Not War” sign Sept. 3, 2013, outside Wells Hall. The Michigan State College Libertarians and the Young Democratic Socialist Organization joined together outside Wells Hall to spread awareness about potential military action in Syria. Julia Nagy/The State News

The Michigan State College Libertarians, or MSCL, and the Young Democratic Socialist Organization collaborated on Tuesday in a gathering to spread awareness on-campus about the potential military intervention in Syria.

“I got an e-mail from the president of MSCL (informing me about the gathering),” said Andrew Gibson, a political theory and constitutional democracy sophomore and member of the Young Democratic Socialist Organization.

“We will be organizing an open forum in the next week or two to spread awareness about issues the country is facing right now,” Gibson said, adding that the potential military intervention in Syria, which the group opposes, would be a good issue to start with.

Gibson described President Barack Obama’s call for military intervention in Syria as “American imperialism,” explaining that the U.S. “government has no moral basis” in participating in the Syrian war.

“The claim is that we’re stopping chemical weapons from being used on our citizens,” Gibson said, adding that U.S. citizens are not being told the actual truth about the reason for the intervention.

Daniel Katz, history, philosophy and sociology of science and religious studies junior is opposed to the intervention since he thinks that there isn’t a good side that the U.S. could be on in the war.

“It’s not in our own interest to fight,” said Katz, also a member of MSCL.

President Barack Obama had given a speech on Saturday saying that the U.S. is ready to strike in Syria at any time, explaining that he will wait on a vote by the Congress to approve military intervention there.

Obama said that the use of chemical weapons in Syria poses a threat towards U.S. national security.

Share and discuss “College Libertarians spread awareness about Syria as U.S. considers intervention” on social media.