New sushi restaurant adds to growing trend

<p>East Lansing resident Shawn Ko puts a blow torch to a waikki dish Aug. 9, 2013, at Sushi Ya, 529 E. Grand River Ave. Ko has been a sushi chef for the past 15 years. Weston Brooks/The State News</p>

East Lansing resident Shawn Ko puts a blow torch to a waikki dish Aug. 9, 2013, at Sushi Ya, 529 E. Grand River Ave. Ko has been a sushi chef for the past 15 years. Weston Brooks/The State News

Photo by Weston Brooks | The State News

As one walks down Grand River Avenue, it’s hard to ignore the ever-growing presence of a certain Japanese cuisine.

With at least five sushi restaurants already established in the East Lansing area, another is about to join the pack of sushi options nearby.

An employee at Tamaki Custom Sushi and Wraps in Lansing confirmed they will be opening another location within the next few weeks in Brookfield Plaza, 1331 E. Grand River Ave.

Tamaki, which puts a custom twist on each of its rolls, could not be reached for further comment.

Bonnie Knutson, a professor in MSU’s School of Hospitality Business, said there are several reasons why the popularity of sushi restaurants is growing in areas such as East Lansing.

Knutson said certain market forces such as the students and local residents in the area drive trends. Additionally, there is a growing number of international students, and many students go on study abroad trips.

“The increase in global travel has exposed the general consumer to a wide variety of international cuisine,” Knutson said.

Knutson said the media pushes exposure for dishes that people might not have had the access to in the past.

“People are exposed to (the idea that) there is more than spaghetti and tacos (in international cuisine,)” Knutson said.

Leigh Beckmeyer, house man ager of Sushi Ya, 529 E. Grand River Ave., said they mostly see customers ranging from students, staff and faculty from MSU. Beckmeyer added they also have a large proportion of international students as customers.

In her past two years of managing, she has seen business and interest in sushi increasing. The competition of all the different sushi places doesn’t faze her.

“I think that each restaurant that’s been around has their own following,” Beckmeyer said. “Sushi restaurants are the equivalent of pizza places — there are a lot of pizza places in the area, but everyone has their favorite.”

Beckmeyer added the increasing competition pushes sushi restaurants to start offering happy hours and discounts.

Beckmeyer also added the owner of Tamaki was one of Sushi Ya’s head chefs before he chose to branch out.

“He definitely jumped at a good opportunity at a perfect time,” Beckmeyer said.

The East Lansing branch of Maru Sushi Grill, 1500 W. Lake Lansing Road, which opened earlier this year, has also not seen a blow to business as a result of too much competition. Katie Borushko, assistant manager of the restaurant, said they mostly see customers in the younger crowd.

“It’s kind of a unique food,” Borushko said. “It’s a lot of fun to try, especially the specialty rolls. We make it an art form as well.”

Graduate student Josh Roose would describe himself as an eight out of 10 on a scale of sushi love. Roose appreciates having a variety of sushi options available to him in East Lansing.

“It’s soul food for me,” Roose said. “Part of it, too, (is that) it’s very healthy. I’d rather have a sushi place than a burger joint. ”

Share and discuss “New sushi restaurant adds to growing trend” on social media.