Friday, May 3, 2024

Football hires Curtis Blackwell to new recruiting and mentorship position

MSU football announced the hiring of Curtis Blackwell as its director of college advancement and performance camp/director today in a press release.

A Detroit native, Blackwell is a co-founder of the Sound Mind Sound Body Football Academy. According to the press release, his position includes mentoring responsibilities, but more noteworthy is Blackwell’s key role in “development and implementation of strategic plans in football recruiting.”

The official hiring of Blackwell confirms days of rumors and reports that MSU was on the verge of adding a staff member to a newly-created recruiting coordinator title.

“First and foremost, we appreciate the administration’s support for establishing this critical position,” Dantonio said in the release.

“Curtis Blackwell brings a wealth of contacts to this position through his work with the state’s high school coaches association, national 7-on-7 camps, youth football programs as well as his work as a camp director.

“… In his new role, Curtis can make a significant impact, not only on our current players but future Spartans as well. We’re truly excited about him joining our Michigan State football staff.”

Blackwell played four years of football at Hampton University before founding the Sound Mind Sound Body Football Academy nine years ago. He also has coaching experience at Martin Luther King High and Mackenzie High in Detroit.

“One of the biggest things for me on why I was excited about this position was the way that Michigan State has developed and assessed talent,” Blackwell said in the release.

“I can learn a lot from working with a staff that is real thorough in their evaluation of high school prospects. Coach Dantonio is honest, loyal and easy to relate to, which can be hard to find in this day and age of coaches.”

Share and discuss “Football hires Curtis Blackwell to new recruiting and mentorship position” on social media.