Monday, March 18, 2024

FRIB project could receive additional $55 million

After remaining on MSU’s to-do list since 2008, the Facility for Rare Isotope Beams, or FRIB, is getting closer to a ground-breaking movement.

Last Thursday, members of the U.S. Senate Committee on Appropriations approved an energy and water appropriation bill that would fully fund the creation of the facility with $55 million. The U.S. House of Representatives Committee on Appropriations also approved the budget request last week.

Before funding can be received, the legislation must now go before the full U.S. Senate for approval.
Once completed, FRIB will bring top scientists from around the world, allowing them to speed up the processes of common elements and further study their consistency and makeup.

The funding discussion began with President Barack Obama, who submitted his budget proposal for the next federal fiscal year, with FRIB included, in April. MSU already received $22 million for FRIB from the federal government in 2012, all geared toward its creation.

If the funding is approved, MSU will receive the money near Oct. 1, with the beginning of the federal fiscal year. In the event of full Senate approval, there likely will be a ground-breaking ceremony for the facility later in the fall.

Share and discuss “FRIB project could receive additional $55 million” on social media.