Music is...

<p>Singers Jenn Hill, left, and Iris Thompson, with the Lansing Unionized Vaudeville Spectacle, practice with rest of the band June 2, 2013, at a band member&#8217;s house in Lansing. Hill said music is one of the purest forms of expression she has. Julia Nagy/The State News</p>

Singers Jenn Hill, left, and Iris Thompson, with the Lansing Unionized Vaudeville Spectacle, practice with rest of the band June 2, 2013, at a band member’s house in Lansing. Hill said music is one of the purest forms of expression she has. Julia Nagy/The State News

Photo by Julia Nagy | The State News

For East Lansing resident Irene Blanchard, music is “an expression of a happy heart.”

For heavy metal band Cavalcade member Sean Peters, music is as “beautiful as you want it to be or as ugly as you want it to be.”

For graduate student Christina Strong, music is “inspiring.”

Some interact with music in the car, on a run, studying for an upcoming exam or at a concert here and there. For Jenn Hill, a singer with the Lansing Unionized Vaudeville Spectacle, music is an everyday aspect of her life.

Music education senior Christie Lower can’t see herself in anything other than a music-related career. She currently works at the Community Music School, 4930 S. Hagadorn Rd.

“It’s all I do,” Lower said. “I have no idea what I would do if I didn’t have music.”

Share and discuss “Music is...” on social media.