Sunday, April 28, 2024

Michigan Flyer might increase number of daily bus trips

MSU students and faculty discuss their experiences with the Michigan Flyer and their opinions on the Capital Region International Airport’s opposition to increasing the daily services of the Michigan Flyer.

MSU students and faculty might be looking at an increase in the frequency of the Michigan Flyer service as a result of a Federal Highway Administration grant.

Michigan Flyer, a motor coach service partially owned by Indian Trails Inc., was awarded $595,680 in August 2012 by the Federal Highway Administration to increase the number of daily trips from eight to 12, according to Chad Cushman, vice president of Indian Trails Inc.

This would mean almost hourly service for Michigan Flyer’s passengers who are looking to get to East Lansing, Ann Arbor and Detroit Metro Airport.

Cushman said in order for Michigan Flyer to receive the grant money, the project has to be placed on a transportation improvement plan, or TIP. Michigan Flyer initially planned on placing it on a TIP that was supported by a municipal planning organization. However, the Federal Highway Administration recently ruled that the project would also be required to be on the Tri-County Regional Planning Commission’s TIP as well.

“(It was) a curveball thrown last minute,” Cushman said.

Cushman said Michigan Flyer, which plans on contributing $698,920 of its own dollars toward operating costs and the purchase of a new motor coach, is not competing with the funds of any other mode of transportation. Rather, the grant was designed to cover the startup costs of increasing the frequency of the service.

Cushman said Michigan Flyer’s endeavors are fully supported by the Michigan Department of Transportation and MSU, among other organizations.

“Thousands of faculty, staff and students use the Michigan Flyer each year, and the expansion of service will benefit the MSU community,” University spokesman Kent Cassella said in a statement.

“We also encourage the use and expansion of other transportation services our community uses, including Amtrak, intercity buses and the Capital (Region International) Airport.”

The main issue Michigan Flyer has been having with the Tri-County Regional Planning Commission, or TCRPC, is the arguments from the Capital Region International Airport, or CRIA.

Keith Kaspari, senior vice president and chief of operations for CRIA, said, “We believe it’s important to keep our passengers instead of chasing those dollars to another airport.”

Kaspari said the additional Michigan Flyer services will cause a negative impact on the ridership at the Lansing airport.

Stan Kaplowitz, MSU professor emeritus of sociology, conducted a study that found that only 7 percent of those who went to Detroit Metro Airport utilized the Michigan Flyer.

Kaplowitz said use of the Michigan Flyer is more cost-efficient as well as more environmentally beneficial, than using the CRIA.

Graduate student Yiran Zheng needs the Michigan Flyer to commute to Detroit Metro Airport so she can go home to China. She added that increasing the frequency of the buses adds convenience for her.

“There’s no stop between China and Detroit, so it’s better for me,” Zheng said in reference to the Detroit Metro Airport.

A decision as to whether or not the Michigan Flyer project will be placed on the TCRPC TIP will be determined at the commission’s meeting on June 26.

Share and discuss “Michigan Flyer might increase number of daily bus trips” on social media.