Many are looking to take over former Wanderer's Teahouse location

<p>East Lansing resident Irene Blanchard pours a cup of tea in the front room of Wanderer&#8217;s Teahouse, 547 E. Grand River Ave., on May 12, 2013. The teahouse is set to close Saturday. Danyelle Morrow/The State News</p>

East Lansing resident Irene Blanchard pours a cup of tea in the front room of Wanderer’s Teahouse, 547 E. Grand River Ave., on May 12, 2013. The teahouse is set to close Saturday. Danyelle Morrow/The State News

Several tenants are in the process of negotiating with Perry Investment Group to acquire the former space of Wanderer’s Teahouse, 547 E. Grand River Ave., according to Perry Investment Group co-owner Loren Perry.

Wanderer’s closed on May 17 after owner Michael Spano took a position as an acupuncturist at the MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston. But now, as several potential owners have shown interest in the building, a return of a hometown favorite noted for crepes, hummus sandwiches and various teas, lingers on the horizon.

“We have a number of people interested in that space and it’s kind of a hard decision,” Perry said. “We’re looking at all kinds of aspects to make the best decision (for) the long run.”

Perry said he has been approached by restaurants that desire to expand into the East Lansing market as well as MSU alumni who previously worked at Wanderer’s.

“We certainly don’t want to put someone in there who doesn’t have a high probability of succeeding,” Perry said.

He declined to release the names of the possible tenants.

East Lansing City Manager George Lahanas said mixed use is the key to future downtown development.

“When you have all that mix, it creates a synergy that there is a lot of excitement and energy all the time.” Lahanas said.

Family community services junior Ivy Law said studying has not been the same without a Wanderer’s cup of Dragon Tea.

“They played the best study music, their team was fantastic, there’s great customer service and the location was really good for my dorm,” Law said.

Law said she was disappointed to hear the teahouse was closing, but has adjusted by going to coffee shops such as Biggby or Starbucks.

“If Starbucks shut down, I wouldn’t really care because there’s Starbucks everywhere,” she said. “But Wanderer’s is the only one so now that it is gone, I can’t go.”

Share and discuss “Many are looking to take over former Wanderer's Teahouse location” on social media.