Sunday, May 19, 2024

MSU defensive players honored by CFPA

<p>Eastern Michigan tight end Garrett Hoskins goes upside down with then-junior linebacker Max Bullough by his side. <span class="caps">MSU</span> defeated the Eastern Michigan, 23-7, on Saturday, Sept. 22, 2012 at Spartan Stadium. State News File Photo </p>

Eastern Michigan tight end Garrett Hoskins goes upside down with then-junior linebacker Max Bullough by his side. MSU defeated the Eastern Michigan, 23-7, on Saturday, Sept. 22, 2012 at Spartan Stadium. State News File Photo

Four members of the MSU defense were recognized by the College Football Performance Awards committee Monday.

Seniors Denicos Allen and Max Bullough were nominated for Linebacker of the Year and Isaiah Lewis and Darqueze Dennard were nominated for Defensive Back of the Year honors by the CFPA.

Expectations are high for the defense in 2013 with these four returning seniors. The Spartan defense ranked fourth in the nation and first in the Big Ten in 2012 for total defense, giving up only 274.4 yards per game.

Bullough, a first-team All-Big Ten selection, is the heart of the defense. The 6-foot-3, 242-pound middle linebacker has been consistent for the Spartans on the inside, leading the team for the second-straight year with 111 tackles, 12.5 tackles for loss.

Allen started every game for the Spartans at Sam linebacker, ranking third on the team in tackles with 79, 10 of which for loss and three sacks. At 5-foot-11 and 215 pounds, Allen complements Bullough nicely with his speed and quickness off the strong side.

Lewis set a career-high 80 tackles in 2012, good enough for second on the team. He also had two interceptions and six broken-up passes.

Coming off an injury in the 2011 season, Dennard had a first-team All-Big Ten season in 2012 as selected by the coaches. Dennard tied for the team lead in interceptions with three, along with passes defended with 10. The 5-foot-11, 188-pound corner is fast and active while the ball is in the air.

Share and discuss “MSU defensive players honored by CFPA” on social media.