Saturday, November 22, 2014

New pizza restaurant set to open downtown by the end of summer

Peppino’s Pizzeria & Sports Grille is broadening its horizon to Spartan country this August.

215 Ann Street will be home to the East Lansing location of the Grand Rapids area sports lounge.

Currently the franchise has restaurants in Grand Rapids, Allendale, Kentwood and the Van Andel Arena.

“We are going to fill a void that (is) missing in East Lansing,“ Peppino’s Pizzeria & Sports Grille President Joe DiLeonardo said. “We have currently established such a great MSU crowd in Grand Rapids, they are looking forward to it.”

DiLeonardo said Peppino’s East Lansing will begin hiring around late June to early July.

The East Lansing location will mimic the Grand Rapids location’s layout, featuring televisions in every booth, shuffleboard, a lounge and outdoor decks all accompanied with a family friendly atmosphere, Peppino’s Pizzeria & Sports Grille Franchisee Kris Elliott said.

East Lansing Planning & Zoning Administrator Darcy Schmitt said a moratorium on restaurants serving alcohol past midnight will not affect the new pizzeria because it received a special-use permit.
“The special-use permit runs with the property, not with the business.“ Schmitt said. “The liquor license is with the business but not the special-use permit.”

Packaging senior Marcella Kupraszewicz, a Grand Rapids area native, was thrilled to hear that a hometown favorite is coming to MSU.

She said Peppino’s distinguishes itself through its “hangout joint” environment, something her friends from Grand Rapids take pleasure in.

“It is a different atmosphere and I think it will be pretty successful considering there are not a lot of places like it in East Lansing,” Kupraszewicz said.