Spirit trumps tragedy

Coping with the aftermath of a national tragedy is a process that has no deadline.

In the days that follow, questions pertaining to motive and intent move to the forefront of our minds. Regardless of where the disaster takes place, for a brief period of time, every person seems to belong to the area of the country that’s been affected.

This week, that place was Boston.

Many of us will never forget where we were when we first heard news of the Boston Marathon bombings.

With two nefarious blasts, an event that should have been a joyous celebration for runners and their families turned into an unexpected nightmare. On almost every news channel, images of paramedics and police officers carrying wounded victims from the once-crowded street seemed to run on a loop.

In what could be considered the worst act of terrorism since Sept.11, 2001, the disaster in Boston seemed to epitomize the evil prevalent in this world.

As Monday drew on, the reported number of people wounded seemed to grow at an exponential rate. By the end of the day, no one wanted to believe that the two explosions — about 12 seconds apart — had left more than 170 people injured and three dead.

But as horrific of an event as the Boston Marathon bombings has become, it is important not to forget the other moments that made Monday unforgettable.

Instead of remembering this event solely for the damage it inflicted that day, we should remember it for the outpouring of good it consequently produced.

As we allow ourselves to slowly move past this event, let us commemorate the ones who put the well-being of others before themselves and decided to run toward the site of the explosion. Let us marvel at the strength of the runners who chose to run to a nearby hospital after finishing their race to donate blood. Let us admire the compassion of the families who offered up their homes to anyone in need of a place to stay.

The answers to all of the questions we still have about this event might never be known, but one thing remains without doubt.

Regardless of what those responsible for this heinous event might have hoped, this country once again has rallied in the face of adversity.

Although it is unclear how long the healing process will take, the bravery and compassion displayed by those who chose to lend their support personifies the qualities that make this country so great.

One year from now, we can only hope that instead of the Boston Marathon bringing back memories of tragedy and evil, it also can remind us of how powerfully courageous the human spirit can be.

Share and discuss “Spirit trumps tragedy” on social media.