Restaurants might lose liquor licenses if taxes go unpaid

Several East Lansing restaurants’ liquor licenses are on the line unless owners pay back personal property taxes as part of a plan decided by East Lansing City Council at its Tuesday work session at City Hall, 410 Abbot Road.

All of the establishments in the city are recommended for license renewals, but according to city documents, several bars and restaurants, such as The Landshark and What Up Dawg?, need to pay personal property taxes to the city or could not have their licenses renewed as a result.

“That’s not the way we like to operate,” City Clerk Marie McKenna said. “My recommendation is that we approve these business contingent upon establishing a payment plan.”

The plan is to allow the businesses to pay to keep their license on a temporary basis while continuing to work with the city to pay the full amount owed.

“I don’t think we’re going to be revoking any licenses,” she said. “We have a good working relationship with our businesses, and we’re going to continue that and make sure everybody stays in business.”

Mayor Diane Goddeeris said the payment plan is nothing different than what the city has done before, but what’s new are the restaurants, such as Dublin Square Irish Pub and The Landshark, that have liquor license reporting violations under the city’s 50/50 rule.

The licenses will be on the business agenda at next week’s council meeting.

Also discussed by council was a proposed project to tear down the BP gas station, 504 Michigan Ave., and replace it with a mixed-use apartment complex.

It would be four stories tall and feature 21 four-bedroom apartments, with the first floor used for both commercial space and parking, with 34 on-site parking spaces.

The East Lansing Planning Commission approved the site plan at its March 13 meeting

The council brought up questions regarding parking on the project, which is requesting members approve a 25 percent reduction for the parking requirement, as it is a mixed-use building.

The proposal is seeking nine parking spaces located in Valley Court Park. The project is required to have 54 parking spaces.

The public hearing on the proposed complex is set for next week’s council meeting at 7:30 p.m. April 16 at City Hall.

Share and discuss “Restaurants might lose liquor licenses if taxes go unpaid” on social media.