Face time with Richard Ford

Best-selling author and MSU spring commencement speaker

<p>Ford</p>

Ford

Photo by Dennis Welsh/Novus Select | The State News

The life of best-selling author Richard Ford reads more like a love story than a list of lifetime achievements.

Ford tells people he’s only done two things in his life — written books and been married to his wife, Kristina — both “extravagantly wonderful,” he said.

When the MSU alumnus returns to MSU in May to speak at the 3:30 p.m. commencement ceremony, she will, of course be in attendance.

The 69-year-old, who mostly resides in Maine with Kristina, graduated from MSU in 1966. He studied English and pre-law and met his wife while working as a busboy in her dormitory, Mason Hall.

Relocating from the South in the ‘60s to MSU changed his life, Ford said. He was born in Jackson, Miss., in 1944.

Ford is recognized for his works of literature, including “The Sportswriter,” “Independence Day” and most recently, The New York Times Best Seller, “Canada.” He currently is a Mellon Professor in the Humanities at Columbia University.

Although he said he wouldn’t drop any hints about what he plans to say during his address, the author is pleased to return to his alma mater to try and say something useful to the advanced degree recipients as they step outside of MSU’s shelter.

Earlier this week, The State News spoke with Ford about his life accomplishments and he shared his story.

The State News: When you graduated from MSU, did you know you wanted to be an author?

Richard Ford: No, I thought I’d be a lawyer. I thought I’d be a Marine Corps lawyer. But I didn’t finish … I got sick — I got a medical discharge from the Marine Corps and I went to law school and didn’t like it. And I was so in love, and I was scared someone was going to steal my girlfriend from me — and she was in New York — and so I moved to New York and we got married in 1968.

What was your motivation when you first began writing?

I had only written a couple of stories; I had no earthly idea or aspiration to be a writer. Maybe you don’t know, when you’re 23 years old and everything seems to work out (and you think), ‘I guess I’ll do this.’ … I wasn’t careerist — I don’t think writers have careers now. I think writers just have lives and their lives lead them to the material for their books.

What do you write besides novels?

I’ve been half a journalist all my life, I’m writing a piece for the New York Times op-ed page right now. I feel like that’s an honest way to make a living.

What would you consider to be your biggest life achievement?

Being married to Kristina. I have no qualifications about that; I would happily renounce any other parts of it. Being married to Kristina is the happy achievement in my life.

Share and discuss “Face time with Richard Ford” on social media.