Couch-burning culprits identified

Suspected couch-burning culprits soon will be charged for their fiery displays of enthusiasm following the MSU men’s basketball team’s loss to Duke on Friday night.

East Lansing police Capt. Jeff Murphy said the department has identified three or four suspects involved in the couch and furniture fires lit across the city this weekend.

Murphy said the East Lansing Police and fire departments responded to 12 fires Friday night and two more fires Saturday night. He said there were no injuries and while numerous couches were burnt, there are reports concerning chairs, TVs and even a stuffed lion being burnt.

The department hopes to have the identified suspects charged within the week and prosecuted to the full extent of the law.

The city attorney will decide how the individuals will be charged, but Murphy said the crimes seem to fit most appropriately with violating city ordinances and not felony arson.

Murphy was unaware if the reported culprits were MSU students, but he said names will be released following their arraignment.

Anyone with information on the weekend’s furniture fires is encouraged to call East Lansing Police at 517-351-4220.

Share and discuss “Couch-burning culprits identified” on social media.