Spartans to travel to face Miami (Ohio) in CCHA playoffs

Junior center Lee Reimer dumps the puck into the offensive zone Friday, March 1, 2013, at Munn Ice Arena. Western Michigan defeated the Spartans, 5-2, during the first game of the weekend series. Adam Toolin/The State News
Junior center Lee Reimer dumps the puck into the offensive zone Friday, March 1, 2013, at Munn Ice Arena. Western Michigan defeated the Spartans, 5-2, during the first game of the weekend series. Adam Toolin/The State News —
Photo by Adam Toolin | and Adam Toolin The State News

With two wins separating the MSU hockey team from another trip to Joe Louis Arena, Chris Forfar said it would be “awesome” to play there again, but the senior forward’s thoughts are on the task directly ahead.

It’s a task the Spartans (13-23-3 overall, 9-18-1-0 CCHA) were unable to complete last year, and MSU is looking for a different fate this year as it heads to Oxford, Ohio, for the second round of the CCHA playoffs against Miami (Ohio) (22-9-5 overall, 17-7-4-4 CCHA).

MSU captain and junior forward Greg Wolfe said the whole team will need to be on their game to win this weekend, as the RedHawksare ranked third in the NCAA and finished first in the CCHA regular season.

MSU finished in last place in the league, but managed to beat Alaska in a best-of-three series last weekend to advance. Miami (Ohio)had last weekend off after earning a first-round bye.

“We all love being the underdog going into Miami,” senior forward Anthony Hayes said. “We’re not going to try and fool anybody and say that we’re favored, but I think that’s something we’ll thrive in. There’s very little pressure on us, and we have all the excitement in the world.”

The two teams met earlier in the season — a two-game series on Nov. 16-17. The RedHawks were ranked fourth nationally at the time, tying MSU and winning in a shootout the first game then beating the Spartans, 2-0, the next night.

That series marked the sixth- and seventh-consecutive matchups in which MSU was unable to pull out a win against Miami (Ohio).They met in the second round of the CCHA playoffs last year, and MSU was swept 6-0 and 4-1.

“We’re a better team than (when) we played Miami in November, and I’m sure they’re a better team, without a doubt,” head coach Tom Anastos said. “They’re a young team, but they’re very skilled. Where they’re real good is they’re very predictable defensively — I’m saying that as a compliment because I think they’re very good defensively.”

The RedHawks rank third in the NCAA and first in the CCHA in scoring defense. They also have two strong goaltenders: Ryan McKay and Jay Williams. The two lead the CCHA in winning percentage (0.708, 0.656), and McKay is first in the league in save percentage (0.951) and goals against average (1.32).

Anastos said it’s no secret that scoring goals has been a struggle for MSU all year, and the team will need to focus on making the simple plays to manufacture goals.

“We determine our own fate,” he said. “Either we win or we’re done, and no one wants to be done. Our seniors have not (had) a chance to play in Detroit in the CCHA Tournament; I’d love to see them get that opportunity.”

Share and discuss “Spartans to travel to face Miami (Ohio) in CCHA playoffs” on social media.