New developments in stabbing case of MSU student

<p>McCowan</p>

McCowan

About two weeks since the MSU community first heard about the death of two fellow Spartans, new information has been obtained about the fatal stabbing of nutritional sciences senior Andrew Singler.

When primary suspect Connor McCowan, 18, an Okemos resident, entered Singler’s residence in the early hours of Feb. 23, he was there as a visitor, said Meridian Township police Sgt. Andrew McCready in a court hearing Feb. 25.

Singler was dating McCowan’s sister, according to a court document.

“There had been an argument between (McCowan’s sister) and Andrew Singler earlier in the evening,” McCready said during the validation hearing to determine if a warrant should be issued for McCowan. “Mr. McCowan took exception to that.”

After the altercation, McCowan ran to another location in Meridian Township and told his father he had stabbed Singler. The two then returned to the crime scene, only to leave after finding police vehicles surrounding the apartment, according to the document.

Singler’s roommate took him to the hospital and told police he was in the residence when the confrontation occurred. The roommate knew McCowan socially, according to the document.
An autopsy revealed Singler’s death was caused by the stabbing.

McCowan faces life in prison on open murder charges, which allows the jury to decide the degree of murder.

A new judge will oversee the case against McCowan after Judge Thomas Boyd admitted he knows the defendant’s family during the pre-trial hearing March 5.

Judge Donald Allen plans to take on the case, and the first hearing with Allen is scheduled for April 16.

Outside the courtroom, friends and family gathered in Rochester, Mich., on Feb. 27 for a funeral service to celebrate Singler’s life.

“There will be a hole in our family,” Janis Singler said in a previous interview. “So many people have lost a good friend.”

Keep checking The State News for updates on the case.

Share and discuss “New developments in stabbing case of MSU student” on social media.