MSU wrestlers prepare for NCAA Tournament

<p>Sophomore 157-pounder Ryan Watts looks up to the referee as he wrestles Central Michigan&#8217;s Luke Smith on Feb. 22, 2013, at Jenison Field House. Watts defeated Smith 7-3. Adam Toolin/The State News</p>

Sophomore 157-pounder Ryan Watts looks up to the referee as he wrestles Central Michigan’s Luke Smith on Feb. 22, 2013, at Jenison Field House. Watts defeated Smith 7-3. Adam Toolin/The State News

Photo by Adam Toolin | The State News

Four Spartans will make their way to Des Moines, Iowa, next weekend after strong performances at the Big Ten Championships in Champaign, Ill.

Senior 149-pounder Dan Osterman, sophomore 157-pounder Ryan Watts, sophomore 184-pounder John Rizqallah and junior heavyweight Mike McClure all punched their tickets to the big tournament.

At an eight seed, McClure is the highest seed of the Spartans, and will face off against Riley Shaw, who finished the season 19-14at Cleveland State.

“It’s the last tournament of the year and really the tournament that people look back on,” McClure said. “I want to go there and become an All-American. It’s just time to let loose.”

He said he’s been dealing with a strep infection that affected how he did at Big Ten Championships, where he finished seventh.

McClure finished his first season in the starting lineup with a team-high 32 wins, including 15 in dual meets. This will be his first trip to the NCAA Championships.

After a disappointing 1-2 finish at the Big Ten Championships, Rizqallah received an at-large bid by the NCAA Division I Wrestling Committee, of which MSU head coach Tom Minkel is a member.

He said even with the largest amount of pressure on him he’s had all season, he just had to get the poor performance out of his system and move on.

“I’m not making it into something that it’s not; it’s just another match,” Rizqallah said. “The mat is going to be the same. There’s going to be a lot of people there, but it’s still a wrestling match.”

He’ll go up against Mason Bailey of Navy in the first round.

Watts broke into the starting lineup halfway through the season after senior 157-pounder David Cheza’s year ended early with a shoulder injury.

In his first NCAA Championship appearance, he will wrestle sixth seeded Alex Dieringer of Oklahoma State.

Osterman has a chance at revenge.

In his third and final trip to the NCAA Championships, he takes on Donnie Corby from Central Michigan, who he lost to in his final regular season match as a Spartan.

When he saw who he was going up against in the first round, he was pleased, and said a win would definitely soften the blow.

“It’s a perfect first-round match for me,” Osterman said. “I lost to him in my last home dual, so I guess it’s only fitting that I would wrestle him first round at the last tournament of my career.”

All four wrestlers are good friends and said it will be beneficial to have each other to lean on if they need to.

Head coach Tom Minkel will look to Osterman to lead the Spartans at the tournament because he’s the only one of the group to attend the competition before.

Still, he said Osterman might have the most potential to go all the way.

“That field is really tough and his weight class is really tough, but I think it’s a good draw for him,” Minkel said. “Danny has a lot of experience. He can compete for the whole thing.”

Share and discuss “MSU wrestlers prepare for NCAA Tournament” on social media.