Sunday, April 28, 2024

Ballooning debt on students’ minds

<p>Jay Gage, president of the Student Association of Michigan, writes the finishing touches on the student debt board as group members watch Friday, March 22, 2013, at the rock on Farm Lane. The Student Association of Michigan held the event to raise awareness for the ongoing problem with student debt. </p>

Jay Gage, president of the Student Association of Michigan, writes the finishing touches on the student debt board as group members watch Friday, March 22, 2013, at the rock on Farm Lane. The Student Association of Michigan held the event to raise awareness for the ongoing problem with student debt.

SAM Director of Public Relations Dion Tchokreff, a senior at Lake Superior State University, said they hosted the event to show the public how much student debt there is.

Many students said they have racked up between $20,000 and $100,000 in debt.

MSU Trustee George Perles acknowledged MSU has high tuition and said he and the other trustees need to find solutions and take college’s financial burden off of families.

“We continue to look for ways to keep tuition down,” he said. “For one, we need the government to come through, and we need to get as much as we can from the state to support our school so we don’t put the pressure on the students.”

Two hundred bright green balloons caught students’ eyes as they passed by the rock on Farm Lane on Friday afternoon, many stopped to speak about an all-too-familiar topic — college debt.

At the event held by the Student Association of Michigan, or SAM, and ASMSU, MSU’s undergraduate student government, students stopped to mark a red circle on a debt chart labeled in increments from $0 to $110,000.

Share and discuss “Ballooning debt on students’ minds” on social media.