Students share love stories, date plans

For some, “Valentine’s Day” are two of the world’s most dreaded words, but for other students the holiday holds exciting plans with loved ones.

Human biology junior Faye Tata will celebrate her Valentine’s Day with a one-of-a-kind dinner through Skype with a long-distance crush.

“I was kind of joking and was like, ‘Will you be my valentine?’” she said.

But when her friend Keaton Lantrip said “Yes,” the nerves began to build.

Dressed in her best in her apartment, Tata will Skype Lantrip, who lives in Mississippi.

Although the two are separated by more than 900 miles, Tata and Lantrip plan to pull out all the stops to make their evening romantic and special.

“We’ve always been really good friends, but I’m just as nervous as if we were doing it in person,” she said.

Another student has more traditional plans for the infamous day of love.

Tonight, fisheries and wildlife junior Brooke Merrill plans on making a French-inspired dinner with her boyfriend.

“We both like to cook and I thought of French food because it reminded me of Valentine’s Day,” she said.

At first Merrill and her boyfriend Kevin Doyle, economics senior, planned to bake a baguette themselves, but after realizing how difficult the task was, the two an easier route.

“We’re buying a baguette and watching the Food Network for ideas,” she said.

The couple will channel their inner Paula Deen while preparing the southern bell’s recipe for 40 cloved garlic chicken.

But for some students, Feb. 15 is the real day to celebrate.

“The next day my friends are celebrating Singles Awareness Day, and I’m invited because I’m aware they’re single,” Merrill said.

Share and discuss “Students share love stories, date plans” on social media.