Proposed downtown renovations up for discussion

<p>This empty building, 303 Abbot Rd., will be part of the Park District redevelopment. The city received seven proposals for apartments, mixed-use and hotels among other ideas to further develop areas within East Lansing. </p>

This empty building, 303 Abbot Rd., will be part of the Park District redevelopment. The city received seven proposals for apartments, mixed-use and hotels among other ideas to further develop areas within East Lansing.

Changes are on the horizon for a segmented part of downtown East Lansing, where several developers have proposed to build apartment complexes, hotels and other mixed-use buildings.

One of the sites on the project, located at 303 Abbot Road, was formerly part of the now-defunct City Center II project.

A recommendation on how to use the 2.82 acres of land stretching from Abbot Road to Valley Court will be made in April after city staff review the seven proposed plans, which can be viewed at cityofeastlansing.com, East Lansing Planning, Building and Development Director Tim Dempsey said.

Capstone Collegiate Communities, LLC and Vlahakis Companies

The developers, who are constructing the second phase of the developments to The Lodges of East Lansing, are offering 280 residential housing units aimed at both families and students, 30,000 square feet of retail and 30,000 square feet of office space in the area.

Core Campus, LLC

Core Campus’ proposal includes constructing an eight-story building with 54 luxury housing units, a six-story building with 127 luxury units and a parking structure containing 382 spaces.

Tom Harrington, part of the acquisitions department of Core Campus, said they still are negotiating with the owners, City Center Two Project, LLC, for 100 and 130 W. Grand River Ave., and 341 and 345 Evergreen Ave.

“That’s one of the things that will have to be explored further, what that agreement or relationship is,” Dempsey said.

DTN Management, Co.

DTN is proposing to build a new parking structure with more than 400 parking spaces and a 10-story building with both hotel and residential units.
The developers also are looking to construct a five-story building for retail, grocery and small businesses.

Lurvey White Ventures

The proposal includes a year-round farmers market, a 120-room hotel with a 200-person banquet center and new parking and residential mixed-use buildings.

“We were actually scouring local communities that we feel are a good fit for a mixed-use (building),” said David Lurvey, a partner with Lurvey White Ventures.

MTB Partners, LLC and Visser Brothers Development

One of the developers from the City Center I project is proposing a 360-space parking structure, a 100-room hotel and 80 residential units.

It would include 15,000 square feet for retail space to attract an urban grocer.

Parkside Project, LLC

Chris Jerome, an authorized agent for the developers, said Carpenter and Company, Inc., the developer of the project, is looking to build something other than the stereotypical undergraduate student-housing proposal, but did not specify exactly what would be done to the area.

Urban Cultural and Arts District, LLC

The proposal would include constructing a brand-new parking structure, a new farmers market and two 10-story buildings, both mixed-use with one containing hotel rooms and the other containing apartments and condominiums.

Share and discuss “Proposed downtown renovations up for discussion” on social media.