MSU in Enviance’s ‘Sustainable 16’ contest

<p>David Smith, waste reduction coordinator for <span class="caps">MSU</span>, empties garbage bins Tuesday, Feb. 5, 2013, at the <span class="caps">MSU</span> Main Library. <span class="caps">MSU</span> recently was named one of Enviance’s “Sustainable 16,” part of the Second Annual Environmental March Madness tournament, which highlights university efforts to become a more sustainable campus. State News File Photo</p>

David Smith, waste reduction coordinator for MSU, empties garbage bins Tuesday, Feb. 5, 2013, at the MSU Main Library. MSU recently was named one of Enviance’s “Sustainable 16,” part of the Second Annual Environmental March Madness tournament, which highlights university efforts to become a more sustainable campus. State News File Photo

Photo by Adam Toolin | The State News

College basketball’s March Madness won’t start for another month, but MSU already is competing for the title of national champion.

MSU recently was named one of Enviance’s “Sustainable 16,” part of the Second Annual Environmental March Madness tournament. The tournament is designed to highlight universities’ efforts to become more sustainable on campus and in the classroom. The winner will receive a $5,000 cash prize.

While the MSU Office of Campus Sustainability will be working on the next stage of the project, the announcement of the “Environmental Eight” on March 22, it wasn’t involved with the initial submission for consideration, said Lauren Olson, the office’s education coordinator.

“I have to give all the credit to Karessa Weir,” Olson said. “She entered MSU in the competition on her own.”

Weir, who works with the MSU Environmental Science and Policy Program, approached the Office of Campus Sustainability for help with making a video for the next round of the tournament, Olson said, but Weir will remain in control for the time being. If MSU makes it to the “Environmental Eight,” the next round would be the “Finest Four,” announced April 5. The winner will be announced on April 8.

Weir could not be reached for comment as of press time.

At this point, Olson is just glad the office’s efforts haven’t gone unnoticed.

“This is all new to us,” she said. “We’re just happy MSU is being recognized.”

Still, environmental economics and policy freshman Karlo Zadro said MSU could be doing a lot better in terms of sustainability.

“They’re giving it a good effort,” Zadro said. “But a big step would be … doing a little bit more in terms of moving off coal.”

Biology junior Anthony Machniak said he’s not surprised by MSU’s selection. He saw the school’s commitment to the environment during his time working with MSU Recycling.

“I’m not really shocked,” he said. “If only for the sheer numbers.”

Psychology sophomore Hanna Reed said the emphasis on things such as recycling at MSU shows around campus.

“There are more places to recycle than to throw out trash,” she said, smiling. “Which is annoying when you have something that’s legitimately trash.”

Share and discuss “MSU in Enviance’s ‘Sustainable 16’ contest” on social media.