Monday, May 6, 2024

Wrestling drops meets to North Carolina, Clarion, Penn State during weekend

The MSU wrestling team had a tough weekend as they lost to North Carolina and Clarion on Saturday and No. 1 Penn State on Sunday.

The Spartans (4-6 overall, 0-3 Big Ten) started off the doubleheader Saturday with a close loss to North Carolina, 23-21. The Spartans then lost to Clarion later in the day, 25-16.

No. 4 junior heavyweight Mike McClure pinned both his opponents to improve to 22-1 on the season.

No. 19 senior 157-pounder David Cheza continued his undefeated streak with a 7-3 win against North Carolina, but lost his first match of the season when he was pinned against Clarion.

Two-time defending national champions Penn State dominated the Spartans 41-0 on Sunday.

The two closest matches of the afternoon were from Cheza and McClure, who each lost by two points.

Five of the 10 wrestlers for the Nittany Lions were ranked in the top three in the nation.

Penn State had three major decisions, two pins and one technical fall in front of a sold-out arena.

The next time the Spartans hit the mat is at 2 p.m. Sunday against No. 3 Iowa at Jenison Field House.

Share and discuss “Wrestling drops meets to North Carolina, Clarion, Penn State during weekend” on social media.