Event promotes Vietnamese culture

<p>Packaging sophomore Daniel Jiang tries to clear his throat at the rice-eating competition, Tuesday, Jan. 29, 2013, at Holden Hall during an &#8220;Amazing Race&#8221; organized by the Vietnamese Student Association. Justin Wan/The State News</p>

Packaging sophomore Daniel Jiang tries to clear his throat at the rice-eating competition, Tuesday, Jan. 29, 2013, at Holden Hall during an “Amazing Race” organized by the Vietnamese Student Association. Justin Wan/The State News

Photo by Justin Wan | The State News

Tuesday evening, the normally quiet basement of Holden Hall was filled with students running laps through the brightly colored hallways, laughing and screaming while toting 25-pound bags of rice.

“I have a cramp,” Vietnamese Student Association, or VSA, member Adam Lam yelled as he fanned himself and sprinted to reach his partner. “I’m going to need to take a shower.”

Minutes later, Lam’s partner Ashley Lim, a hospitality business sophomore, put her arms through his as Lam shoveled down heaping spoonfuls of rice, racing to win the rice-eating competition.

About 20 students showed their competitive sides for the VSA’s Amazing Race event — an obstacle course race at Holden Hall. Challenges ranged from a traditional Vietnamese dance-off to a Vietnamese language matching game.

Although the competition was geared toward promoting traditional Vietnamese culture, club President Nga Dang said students from many cultures attended.

“I’ve learned the numbers and the colors, and I eat the food,” said Stella Lo, VSA treasurer and Chinese student. “(The VSA) is for all kinds of people.”

Share and discuss “Event promotes Vietnamese culture” on social media.