Thursday, October 2, 2014

Costs of textbooks stack up

yjw_new_textbooks_01_010913

Philosophy senior Samantha Goulet, left, talks with Arabic and professional writing junior Sonja Trierweiler on whether she should take a philosophy class, Wednesday, Jan. 9, 2013, at Student Book Store, 421 E. Grand River Ave. Justin Wan/The State News

With the first week of classes almost to a close, many students are finalizing their schedules and buying textbooks for the semester.

A popular location to buy textbooks is the Student Book Store, 421 E. Grand River Ave., and Ned’s Book Store, 135 E. Grand River Ave.

For last-minute shoppers looking to buy online, there are sites that can help cut costs. MSU students can buy and sell books with other students through booklify.com and book.ly.

Both websites can help users get the best prices by tapping the MSU course lists to find required books.

To read personal stories about students purchasing their textbooks for class, see the pictures of textbooks.

yjw__books_01_010813

$404.25 — Engineering junior Marysa Kotsogiannis is taking five classes this semester and she bought five books at the Student Book Store for a total of $404.25. “They’re pretty expensive,” she said. “(I’ve spent) no less than $300 in the past.” Kotsogiannis said she as bought books from Amazon in the past, but she chose the Student Book Store this semester because it was more convenient.
yjw__books_03_010813

$128.98 — Agribusiness management and animal science senior Elizabeth Wernette chose to buy three of her required books at the Student Book Store for $128.98. “I came to the book store because it’s convenient,” Wernette said. She said she usually spends about $300, and she has not finished buying all the books for her five classes. Wernette said she is saving money by sharing some books with her roommates.