Tuesday, September 2, 2014 | Last updated: 9:32am

Wilcox to step down as provost next July

*Wilcox*

Wilcox

After serving for seven years as MSU’s top academic official, Provost Kim Wilcox announced he will step down to pursue work with higher education partnerships in Africa.

On January 1, 2013, Senior Associate Provost June Youatt will be named acting provost, according to a university release.

Wilcox then will start working with the Partnership to Cut Hunger and Poverty in Africa, a non-profit organization that advocates for African sustainability, according to the release.
He plans to officially step down July 1, 2013.

Former MSU President Peter McPherson serves as chair of the organization’s Board of Directors, and Jeffrey Riedinger, MSU’s dean of International Studies and Programs, serves as vice chair.

Wilcox, an MSU alumnus, said although there are many things he will miss about MSU, he is confident in the university’s leaders, including President Lou Anna K. Simon and Youatt, and he is looking forward to being able to focus on this African partnership project.

“I’ll miss all kinds of things, I’ll miss the students, I’ll miss my colleagues on the faculty and staff now,” he said. “I love MSU, but I’m not going to be too far, and I’ll be able to get back and see people and see things.”

Wilcox said he has appreciated many of the university’s endeavors in Africa and in other places around the world, and said he is looking forward to the new and exciting challenge.

Between semesters was an ideal time for the transition, he said.