Student found with severe head injury early Sunday morning, police investigating incident as assault

A 20-year-old MSU male student was found in downtown East Lansing early Sunday morning with a severe head injury disabling him from communicating how he was injured.

The East Lansing Police were dispatched to downtown East Lansing at 8 a.m. Sunday morning to respond to the student, who needed immediate medical care and currently is not able to describe how he was hurt because of the seriousness of his injuries, according to a statement from the East Lansing Police Department, or ELPD.

Police said they’re investigating the incident as an assault, and it likely occurred between 1 a.m. and 8 a.m. on Sunday in downtown East Lansing. The student was found in Lot 1 between The Riv, 231 Mac Ave, and PT O’Malley’s, 210 Abbott Road.

ELPD Sgt. James Phelps said the victim was brought to Sparrow Hospital in Lansing and currently is in a stable condition. The victim was identified and his parents were notified. They have been at the hospital with their son, Phelps said.

Doctors were unable to determine if the student’s injuries were the result of a fall or an assault.

ELPD investigators are waiting for the student to recover enough to be interviewed about his injuries, Phelps said. As of 3:30 p.m. Monday, no witnesses had come forward with information regarding the incident.

“We’re still waiting to hopefully have someone call us in and tell us that they saw something,” Phelps said.

Anyone with information regarding the assault should contact ELPD at (517) 351-4220.

Share and discuss “Student found with severe head injury early Sunday morning, police investigating incident as assault” on social media.