Spartans dropped by Northwestern 23-20 on Senior Day

<p>Junior running back Le&#8217;Veon Bell falls inches short of the end zone on Saturday, Nov. 17, 2012, at Spartan Stadium. The Spartans lost to Northwestern, 23-20. Julia Nagy/The State News</p>

Junior running back Le’Veon Bell falls inches short of the end zone on Saturday, Nov. 17, 2012, at Spartan Stadium. The Spartans lost to Northwestern, 23-20. Julia Nagy/The State News

Photo by Julia Nagy | The State News

For the first time since 2006, the MSU football team (5-6 overall, 2-5 Big Ten) has gone without a home conference win, falling to Northwestern (8-3, 4-3) 23-20 on Senior Day at Spartan Stadium.

Looking for a sixth win that would clinch bowl eligibility, MSU entered halftime trailing the Wildcats 6-5, but it didn’t take long for that to change once the second half began.

Less than a minute into the third quarter, junior quarterback Andrew Maxwell’s throw was intercepted by Northwestern linebacker David Nawabuisi and returned for a touchdown, making it 13-5.

On the very next drive, Maxwell led the Spartans 65 yards down the field, capping off the drive with a 16-yard touchdown snag by freshman wide receiver Aaron Burbridge, his first career touchdown. Maxwell was able to find sophomore wide out Keith Mumphery in the middle of the field on the two-point conversion, knotting it up at 13.

However, the Wildcats struck back, staging a seven-play, 73-yard drive ending on a six yard touchdown pass from quarterback Kain Colter to Tim Riley to put Northwestern back up, 20-13. The drive appeared to have stalled earlier when Colter threw an incomplete pass on third down, but a facemask called on redshirt freshman defensive end Shalique Calhoun kept the Wildcats moving.

Both teams failed to get going on their ensuing possessions, but early in the fourth quarter, the Spartans rode juniors running back Le’Veon Bell and tight end Dion Sims down the field on a nine-play, 60 yard scoring drive that ended when Maxwell found junior wide out Tony Lippett in the endzone for a touchdown, tying the game at 20.

Northwestern responded with an eight play, 66-yard drive that resulted in what would become the game winning field goal by kicker Jeff Budzien.

MSU will have one final chance to become bowl eligible at Minnesota next Saturday.

Share and discuss “Spartans dropped by Northwestern 23-20 on Senior Day” on social media.