Halftime: Spartans trail Northwestern 6-5 on Senior Day

In a low-scoring affair, the MSU football team (5-5 overall, 2-4 Big Ten) enters the locker room at halftime trailing visiting Northwestern (7-3, 3-3) 6-5 on Senior Day.

The Wildcats were able to march down the field with ease on their opening drive before the Spartan defense stuffed them inside the 10-yard line, and Northwestern was forced to settle for a 24-yard field goal from kicker Jeff Budzien.

After a pair of possession changes resulted in zero points, the Spartans appeared ready to put themselves on the board, driving to Northwestern’s two yard line on the back of junior tight end Dion Sims.

On second and seven from MSU’s 45, junior quarterback Andrew Maxwell hung in the pocket before finding Sims downfield, who dragged several defenders to the Northwestern 11 yardline.

But facing third and inches from the Wildcat two yardline, a fumbled snap gave Northwestern the ball deep in their own territory and the offense came up empty.

However, the defense stepped up to the challenge, and after junior cornerback Darqueze Dennard stuffed Northwestern’s Mike Trumpy for a one yard loss, juniors linebacker Max Bullough and defensive end William Gholston sandwiched Kain Colter in the endzone for a safety, making it 3-2, Northwestern.

On the ensuing drive, the Spartans marched down to the Northwestern 17-yardline before senior kicker Dan Conroy drilled a 35-yard field goal attempt down the middle of the goalposts, giving MSU a 5-3 lead.

But on Northwestern’s final drive of the game, the Wildcats were able to put another three on the board on a 43-yard field goal by Budzein.

MSU took over with 41 seconds to go before halftime, but after driving to the Northwestern 20-yardline, Conroy missed a 37-yard field goal attempt.

The Spartans will receive the ball to start the second half.

Share and discuss “Halftime: Spartans trail Northwestern 6-5 on Senior Day” on social media.