Former One Tree Hill star to play Saturday night at Wharton Center

After growing up in Metro Detroit, actress-turned-singer Jana Kramer will return to her home state to perform.

The up-and-coming country musician has hit pause on her acting career to pursue her ultimate dream: singing. Kramer is known among the college crowd for her role on The CW Television Network show, “One Tree Hill.” More recently, she has gained attention for her country single, “Why Ya Wanna” — the same single that broke records previously held by pop-country competitor Taylor Swift.

While she has returned home to the Detroit area frequently for shows, Kramer will perform at 8 p.m. Saturday at Wharton Center.
The performance will be held in the Pasant Theatre, the smaller of the two Wharton Center theaters.

Wharton Center marketing manager Tara Peplowski said the smaller venue will give the audience a more personal experience with the artist.

“The sound quality is phenomenal, and I think people are going to feel really connected to her performance,” she said.
Students can identify with Kramer through more than her performance.

Human resource management sophomore Ashley Young said college students can relate to much of the content in Kramer’s music.

“She sings about relationship problems and self-identity problems, which I feel any student can relate to,” Young said.

Kramer is expected to draw audiences that expand beyond the college demographic.

Peplowski said she originally discovered Kramer through country radio, as did many other fans. In addition to Kramer’s “One Tree Hill” following, she said the audience likely will be a variety of ages.

“I think she definitely has a lot of notoriety from that show,” Peplowski said. “I think (that) probably helps draw some of the younger audience members, like the age of the college students that know her from that show, so I think that will help with the diversity of the audience.”

Marketing sophomore Josh Holliday said Kramer’s lyrics not only are relatable, but also ideal for lovers of classic country.

“Her voice is a very country style,” he said. “She’s really popular, and all of her songs speak to what every country fan wants to hear. Her lyrics tell a story — they say what you think and how you feel, which is important in country music.”

Peplowski said Kramer’s music is sweet, yet expresses her vocal capabilities. Holliday agreed, but said he especially is looking forward to seeing Kramer get sassy.

“She has a couple of songs that show her bad-girl side, and the crowd is really going to take it well,” he said. “(Kramer) is going to interact with the audience, and especially kids, (college)-aged, are going to love it.”

Young said Kramer has unique lyrics and song tempos that also will make for a fun performance.

“I have a feeling she is a very vibrant and upbeat performer,” she said.

Holliday said students should check out Saturday’s show to have an intimate music experience with a new singer who seems to be continually rising in popularity with all of her endeavors.

“(Kramer’s) name isn’t as big as it will be in the next year or two,” he said.

“She’s just starting out, so come see her before she becomes a big star.”

Share and discuss “Former One Tree Hill star to play Saturday night at Wharton Center” on social media.