No. 23 Wolverines lead MSU 6-0 at halftime in Ann Arbor

<p>Junior linebacker Max Bullough intercepts a ball by Michigan quarterback Denard Robinson as he is being tackled by Michigan wide receiver Jeremy Gallon that ends the first half that trails Michigan, 6-0, on Oct. 20 at Michigan Stadium in Ann Arbor, Mich. Justin Wan/The State News</p>

Junior linebacker Max Bullough intercepts a ball by Michigan quarterback Denard Robinson as he is being tackled by Michigan wide receiver Jeremy Gallon that ends the first half that trails Michigan, 6-0, on Oct. 20 at Michigan Stadium in Ann Arbor, Mich. Justin Wan/The State News

Photo by Justin Wan | The State News

Ann Arbor, Mich. — It was a first half defined by defense with explosive plays in limited supply, as the No. 23 University of Michigan football team (4-2 overall, 2-0 Big Ten) headed into the locker room leading the Spartans (4-3, 1-2) 6-0 at halftime.

The Wolverines had the half’s most explosive plays, both setting up field goals.

First a 38-yard run by Fitzgerald Toussaint carried U-M deep into Spartan territory, setting up a 24-yard field goal by junior kicker Brendan Gibbons.

The Spartans attempted to respond on their next possession, but a nine play, 54-yard drive — highlighted by a 45-yard completion to junior receiver Bennie Fowler — ended without points after senior kicker Dan Conroy failed to connect on a 38-yard field goal.

U-M was able to capitalize, after a 35-yard reception by junior receiver Drew Dileo gave the Wolverines’ offense some life.

Gibbons capped off the drive with a 48-yard field goal to double the Wolverines’ lead.

Junior running back Le’Veon Bell struggled to find running room for the Spartans, finishing the first half with 11 carries for 31 yards, while junior quarterback Andrew Maxwell completed 10-of-16 passes for 96 yards.

Senior quarterback Denard Robinson led the way for the Wolverines, completing 8-of-13 passes for 108 yards passing, along with 17 rushing yards. Dileo proved to be Robinson’s favorite target, totaling three catches for 72 yards in the first half.

Share and discuss “No. 23 Wolverines lead MSU 6-0 at halftime in Ann Arbor” on social media.