Thursday, October 30, 2014

Under the needle

By Adam Toolin / The State News

Artist Solomon Trofatter, employee of Splash of Color Tattoo & Piercing Studio, speaks about his love for the tattoo game, and how it has changed for him since he first tattooed a friend at age 14.

The buzzing of a needle, an assortment of ink and an apron and a canvas to paint on are things tattoo artist Solomon Trofatter has become very familiar with. But in his case, the canvas is a human body, and the paint is permanent ink.

Trofatter, an artist at Splash of Color Tattoo & Piercing Studio, 515 E. Grand River Ave., has been professionally tattooing since 2004, but always has considered himself an artist.

“It was kind of a unique situation for me because I was 14 when I did my very first tattoo, and I tattooed on my friends,” Trofatter said. “So when I got to do it professionally, there was some sense of already been there.”

Despite having years of experience under his belt and countless tattoos finished, Trofatter said there still is an element of trust between a client and the artist.

“I’m lucky in the fact that the clients that come here to get tattooed by me do afford me a lot of trust, and that is a nice, nice thing,” Trofatter said.

act_fea_lc01_
By Adam Toolin / The State News
Tattoo artist Solomon Trofatter works on a tattoo Thursday, Oct. 11, 2012 at Splash of Color Tattoo & Piercing Studio, 515 E. Grand River Avenue. Trofatter, who has been tattooing professionally since 2004 says there is still an element of trust between an artist and their client. Adam Toolin/The State News
act_fea_lc02_
By Adam Toolin / The State News
Tattoo artist Solomon Trofatter works on a tattoo for Splash of Color massage therapist Juan Medina Thursday, Oct. 11, 2012 at Splash of Color Tattoo & Piercing Studio, 515 E. Grand River Avenue. Trofatter has been tattooing professionally since 2004. Adam Toolin/The State News