Student section plans to fight cancer

If premedical sophomore Desiree Clenney could have her way, she’d like to see the student section at Spartan Stadium filled with only one color: pink.

For the Oct. 13 football game against the Iowa, Clenney wants to have a pink-out in the student section and have as many students as possible wearing a pink T-shirt in support of breast cancer awareness.

“I never saw another college or student section do it,” she said.

“To see a sea of pink (shirts) would be perfect.”

According to the American Cancer Society, there will be an estimated 229,060 new cases of breast cancer, both male and female, in 2012.

Clenney said she approached her friend, general management junior Marc Colcer, about getting the word out about the pink out.

“(I) started talking (to people) and using my resources to make it happen,” Colcer said.
Colcer said that more than 100 shirts have been sold since they went on sale Wednesday and organizers hope to sell at least 500 shirts.

Pink-out shirts cost $10 for all sizes and all proceeds will go to the Susan G. Komen for the Cure foundation.

“We’ve been contacting local radio stations and newspapers … we really just want to get the word out as much as possible,” he said.

Clenney and Colcer took their pink-out idea to Dustin Grimes, the office manager and graphic designer of RetroDuck, 210 Abbot Road. Grimes said he was excited when he heard about the pink-out shirts.

“Sales (have been) steadily rising since they went up (online),” Grimes said. “We’re excited to be a part of (the pink out) and help a great cause.”

T-shirts can be bought online at retroduck.com/pinkout.

Share and discuss “Student section plans to fight cancer” on social media.