ASMSU faces iClicker shortage

Sophomore hospitality business and public policy major Domonique Clemons jots down notes at the ASMSU meeting held in the Student Services Building on Thursday night, Sept. 6. Clemons attended the meeting to represent the Business College. Griffin Zotter/The State News
Sophomore hospitality business and public policy major Domonique Clemons jots down notes at the ASMSU meeting held in the Student Services Building on Thursday night, Sept. 6. Clemons attended the meeting to represent the Business College. Griffin Zotter/The State News —
Photo by Griffin Zotter | and Griffin Zotter The State News

Numerous topics were discussed at ASMU’s meeting Thursday evening, including a lack of iClickers, new access to the New York Times and international student fees.

Students looking to rent an iClicker are out of luck at least until next semester, representatives said.

ASMSU, MSU’s undergraduate student government, rented all 400 clickers of its iClicker rental program, leaving the stock of iClickers completely depleted, said ASMSU Chairman Evan Martinak at Thursday’s ASMSU General Assembly meeting.

“This has never happened before,” Martinak said.

Students will have a chance to rent an iClicker next semester when the fall semester’s batch is returned.

Vice Chair for Finance and Operations Kyle Clifton also announced students soon will have free online access to New York Times, using their MSU login information to sign in.

The increase in the international student fee, which was discussed at Wednesday’s Council of Graduate Students, or COGS, full council meeting, also was discussed at the meeting.

“First-year international undergraduate fee went from about $100-200, to about $1,000,” Martinak said. “There seems to be a lack of explanation, short of Michigan taxpayer’s (contribution) needs to be matched by those who are international.”

Martinak said he has little information on the subject so far but will be pursuing the matter.

Other matters being pursued by the organization were also discussed at the meeting, including the proposed grief absence policy, which has now entered into Academic Governance, the governing body for MSU policies.

Vice President for Academic Affairs Emily Bank said in a previous interview the policy will allow students ample time to retake exams and do makeup work so they do not have to choose between attending a loved one’s funeral and passing a class.

She said the policy will be moving to the Committee on Undergraduate Education next.

Share and discuss “ASMSU faces iClicker shortage” on social media.