MSU students embrace opportunity to embark on nostalgic tour of Beaumont Tower

Members of the MSU Tower Guard talk about their organization at Beaumont Tower. The tower was open to the public as part of Senior Week.

Photo by Caleb Nordgren | The State News

Journalism senior Anne Cook began a bucket list with friends in December that included eating at all the campus cafeterias, taking a picture with Sparty and going for a ride in the Karaoke Kab. She didn’t think going into Beaumont Tower was even a possibility.

“I just got an email that said I could do it — I couldn’t pass it up,” Cook said.

Cook was one of more than 100 students and community members who explored Beaumont Tower in a tour lead by MSU’s Tower Guard on Tuesday evening.

Most attendees were seniors attempting to knock off items on their bucket list, although some younger students and other community members attended as well.

Tower Guard Sergeant at Arms Austin Buckley said the event was an opportunity for his group to use the lure of Beaumont Tower to tell people about the organization.

The Tower Guard is one of the oldest active student groups on campus, said Tower Guard Historian Kaitlyn Hlywa. They help provide resources for MSU students with disabilities and hold the keys to the first and second floors of the tower. The Carillonneurs, who control the music of the bells, have the keys to the upper floors, she said.

“Why go to MSU if you can never go in?” Hlywa said.

Media arts and technology senior Allan McDaniel said he wished Senior Week events such as this had started earlier in the month, so he wasn’t balancing bucket list activities with exam preparation.

“It’s just another thing to say I did,” he said, adding he will be painting the rock on Farm Lane and feeding the ducks on the Red Cedar River next. “I didn’t know it was so spacious on the inside.”

As marketing sophomore Greg Gariepy climbed into the narrow space at the top of the tower, there was little room for him and his friend. Although he’s not a senior, and he said the tower was a little scary at the top, he was glad to get a glimpse into one of the traditional parts of MSU.

“It’s honestly my favorite place on campus,” Gariepy said of the tower.

With graduation quickly approaching, the event was the last time many students were around for tours of Beaumont Tower.

“It makes us appreciative of campus and sad to leave,” Cook said.

“But it makes it fun to celebrate all this stuff as you’re leaving. … We’ll tell our kids about it (one day).”

Share and discuss “MSU students embrace opportunity to embark on nostalgic tour of Beaumont Tower” on social media.