Madison Williams out for season with ACL tear

Senior forward Lykendra Johnson and red-shirt freshman forward Madison Williams both go up for a rebound during the first half of Tuesday's game at Breslin Center. Lauren Wood/The State News
Senior forward Lykendra Johnson and red-shirt freshman forward Madison Williams both go up for a rebound during the first half of Tuesday's game at Breslin Center. Lauren Wood/The State News —
Photo by Lauren Wood | and Lauren Wood The State News

The injury sustained by redshirt freshman center Madison Williams in Tuesday night’s MSU women’s basketball game against IPFW will be a costly one.

After an MRI taken Wednesday, it was revealed that Williams tore her ACL in her left knee and will miss the remainder of the 2011-2012 season. It was her third regular season game after missing all of last season because of an ACL tear in her right knee.

Williams left the game after going down hard in the first half. At that point, she had recorded two blocks and two rebounds in only three minutes of play. On the season, she averaged 3.3 points on 50 percent from the field, three rebounds and 1.7 blocks in only 25 total minutes of play.

Williams entered MSU with high acclaim after her high school years at Detroit Country Day, where she was named a McDonald’s All-American, the 2010 Gatorade player of the year and a USA Today All-American selection. During her senior season, Williams averaged 12.5 points, 11 rebounds and nine blocks per game.

NCAA rules permit teams to pursue a second redshirt season for certain players in case of injury, but it is unknown at this time if the Spartans will attempt to exercise the option in this instance.

Share and discuss “Madison Williams out for season with ACL tear” on social media.