Spartan volleyball looks to Wisconsin on Saturday

After a crushing 3-0 set loss at No. 16 Minnesota, the MSU volleyball team is looking to right its ship against Wisconsin on Saturday night.

So far in the Big Ten season, the Spartans (18-9 overall, 7-8 Big Ten) have either suffered a season sweep or swept opponents they’ve played twice, and the match against Minnesota was no exception.

Despite the loss, the Spartans saw some promising things from the team. Head coach Cathy George consistently has asked that her team diversify its attack, and the Spartans were treated to a strong performance from senior setter Natalie Emro, who has gone largely unnoticed behind the two-headed monster of senior outside hitters Jenilee Rathje and Kyndra Abron. Emro notched her second double-double of the season, racking up 28 assists and 13 digs for the Green and White. Meanwhile, Rathje was held to seven kills, her lowest total since Sept. 10, when she only played two sets against SIU-Edwardsville.

The Spartans will have a chance to split its week games against Wisconsin, a team they beat earlier in the season when the Badgers traveled to East Lansing. Saturday’s match marks the final game in a four-game road stretch for the Spartans and the last regular season game they will play outside the state of Michigan.

Share and discuss “Spartan volleyball looks to Wisconsin on Saturday” on social media.