Izzo, wife donate $1M to athletic department

Basketball head coach Tom Izzo and his wife Lupe smile to football fans before the Spartans take the field against Florida Atlantic Saturday, Sept. 10 at Spartan Stadium. The Izzo family donated $1 mil. to Spartan Athletics, a large chunk of the money will be devoted to the football program. Matt Hallowell/The State News
Basketball head coach Tom Izzo and his wife Lupe smile to football fans before the Spartans take the field against Florida Atlantic Saturday, Sept. 10 at Spartan Stadium. The Izzo family donated $1 mil. to Spartan Athletics, a large chunk of the money will be devoted to the football program. Matt Hallowell/The State News —
Photo by Matt Hallowell | and Matt Hallowell The State News

MSU men’s basketball coach Tom Izzo and his wife Lupe donated $1 million to the MSU Athletics Department, according to a release from the athletics department on Monday.

The donation, one of the largest ever by an active coach at any university, will benefit several areas within the department.

The majority of the funds will benefit the football program with none going toward the basketball program.

“Supporting the football team was an easy decision,” Izzo said in the release. “(Head) Coach (Mark) Dantonio is a man of character, building a championship program. But what makes football special is that it truly benefits everyone across the university. Spearheaded by football’s success, there is great momentum throughout all programs.”

Izzo is an ideal model of a Spartan coach, Dantonio said in the statement.

“As we all know, Tom has a tremendous passion for football, and we’re extremely grateful for his family’s financial support,” Dantonio said. “He has been and will continue to be a great leader and role model for all Michigan State coaches.”

Other funds will be divided to projects such as the MSU Spartan Marching Band and Olympic sports at MSU.

This donation helps further Izzo’s further cement his legacy at MSU, MSU Athletics Director Mark Hollis said in the statement.

“Coach Tom Izzo is one of the great treasures of not only Michigan State University, but the entire state,” he said. “This gift is but the latest example of his extraordinary leadership. Last summer, Tom Izzo said he was a Spartan for life. It’s actions like this gift that demonstrate that Spartan athletics is life for Tom and Lupe and their family.”

Share and discuss “Izzo, wife donate $1M to athletic department” on social media.