Burkland out for season with injury

Redshirt freshman offensive tackle Skyler Burkland leaves the game after an injury in the first half. The Spartans lost to the Fighting Irish, 31-13, on Saturday afternoon at Notre Dame Stadium in South Bend, Ind. Josh Radtke/The State News
Redshirt freshman offensive tackle Skyler Burkland leaves the game after an injury in the first half. The Spartans lost to the Fighting Irish, 31-13, on Saturday afternoon at Notre Dame Stadium in South Bend, Ind. Josh Radtke/The State News —
Photo by Josh Radtke | and Josh Radtke The State News

Being carted off the field in the second quarter during MSU’s 31-13 loss to Notre Dame on Saturday, redshirt freshman right tackle Skyler Burkland suffered a fracture and dislocation of his left ankle, the MSU Athletics Department announced Monday.

Burkland underwent successful surgery on his ankle Sunday, but he is out for the season and is expected to return for winter conditioning.

“That’s unfortunate because he has such a huge upside as a young player,” head coach Mark Dantonio said Monday during The Paul W. Smith Show on 760 WJR.

When Burkland left Saturday’s game, junior offensive tackle Fou Fonoti — a junior college transfer — filled in on the offensive line. Lacking depth on the offensive line, Fonoti most likely will remain as Burkland’s replacement this season.

Dantonio said Monday morning sophomore defensive tackle Micajah Reynolds will move over to the offensive side of the ball to help add more depth to the already struggling offensive line. The 6-foot-5, 320-pound Reynolds previously had moved from offense to defense earlier in his career.

Share and discuss “Burkland out for season with injury” on social media.