Art work dedicated following vandalism, criticism

The creator of Funambulist, John Van Alstine, discusses the concept of the statue and some of the controversy surrounding it before Wednesday’s dedication.

Four months after its installation and multiple instances of vandalism, university officials and the creator of Funambulist dedicated the piece in a ceremony Wednesday.

The fabricated steel structure, which stands more than 25 feet tall and 36 feet wide, attempts to incorporate the balance college students must keep while they walk on a thin line before graduation, said John Van Alstine, the artist who created the sculpture.

“It has more (of a) universal meaning because we’re all on our wire per se,” he said. “We’re all walking from one point to the other. It’s not only designed for the campus, but for everybody.”

But for some, the message and its placement on campus might not be so clear.

“The first thing I thought was, ‘What the hell?’” said Eric Saddle, an applied engineering sciences senior.
“We have (this) beautiful, old school campus with all these historical buildings, and there’s just so much contrast between this huge, tacky ensemble, (or) what they call ‘modern art.’”

Funambulist first was tagged with graffiti sometime between Sept. 3 and Sept. 8 with the word “ART” written on it in black permanent marker. In another instance Sept. 14, white spray paint, depicting the words “student space,” was sprayed on its façade.

A number of university buildings, objects and bridges receive the occasional splash of paint to get a particular message across, said Jeff Kacos, director of campus planning and administration.

In these instances, vandalism is not a legal means of doing so, he said.

“From an art collection standpoint, we try to deal with anything that happens as quickly as possible,” Kacos said.

“I think if someone has a message, there are many other ways they can do it in a legal way (and) that would be welcome, but certainly defacing the sculpture itself is not acceptable.”

As an artist, Van Alstine said he understands not every person is going to understand the work. But through education and becoming familiar, it wouldn’t seem so threatening in the public space, he said.

“If it didn’t have (any) controversy, then I’d be worried,” Van Alstine said.

Although some might dislike the work, others appreciate the work and disapprove of vandalism toward it.

“I feel it’s very disrespectful,” said Nina Boychuck, a zoology junior. “It’s part of our campus whether you like it or not. It’s interesting to look at, but besides that, I don’t have any particular feelings about it.”

During the ceremony, officials reiterated the placement status of the piece — there are and will be no plans to move it to a different location.

“I think it’s perfect for the site,” MSU Provost Kim Wilcox said during the dedication.

“Public art is public art. We wouldn’t have art without artists’ imagination and creativity.”

Share and discuss “Art work dedicated following vandalism, criticism” on social media.