Best freshman performance

Heyboer's splash on national scene tops list of strong Spartan underclassmen

Sophomore forward Laura Heyboer heads the ball away from Penn State defense Emma Thomson in the first half a game against Penn State on Sept. 27. Heyboer scored the game-winning goal in overtime.

Photo by State News file photo | The State News

Our list of best freshman performances of the decade is higlighted by a group of athletes who not only had phenomenal breakout seasons, but went on to have illustrious careers.

Some of them have seen their playing days at MSU come to an end, while others continue to re-write the record books on a daily basis.

1. Laura Heyboer, 2008 — All she did was record a hat trick in her first career game and finish the season with 21 goals.

The Hudsonville, Mich., native was named Big Ten Offensive Player of the Year, Big Ten Freshman of the Year, Soccerbuzz.com National Freshman of the Year and NSCAA All-American.

2. Allyssa DeHaan, 2006-07 — No moment defines DeHaan’s freshman season better than when she took Ohio State All-American center Jessica Davenport to task for 25 points, eight rebounds and five blocks, leading MSU to a 62-59 win against the No. 4 Buckeyes.

DeHaan averaged 12.5 points and 7.5 rebounds a game on the season.

Her accolade-filled career continues this season, but DeHaan already is the program’s leader in blocked shots and is closing in on the NCAA career record.

3. Brett Swenson, 2006 — The Florida recruit finally brought some stability to the position and was named Freshman All-American.

Swenson concluded this season as the MSU football program’s all-time leader in field goals, points scored and extra points.

4. Manouk Vernij, 2009 — Second Team All-Big Ten honoree recorded 36 points and led the Big Ten in assists during regular season conference play.

5. Jeff Lerg, 2005-06 — Stole the starting job early in the season and never looked back, posting a 17-6-6 record and 1.96 goals-against average.

Honorable Mention

Lauren Hill, led team in goals (8) and points (18) and was named to Big Ten All-Freshman team (2006)

Chantae Miller, scored 34 points and was named second team All-Big Ten (2008)

Zach Randolph, averaged 10.6 points 6.7 rebounds per game, helping team to Final Four (2000-01)

A.J. Thelen, named All-American with 11 goals and 18 assists (2003-04)

Share and discuss “Best freshman performance” on social media.