Tuesday, February 17, 2026

Take a peek behind the curtain and test drive the NEW StateNews.com today!

Former professor alleges sex discrimination, intends to sue MSU

February 17, 2026
<p>The Michigan State University College of Human Medicine in Grand Rapids, Michigan, on July 20, 2023.</p>

The Michigan State University College of Human Medicine in Grand Rapids, Michigan, on July 20, 2023.

A former associate professor in the College of Human Medicine intends to sue Michigan State University, alleging he was wrongfully terminated after reporting harassment and that he was treated worse than his female colleagues because of his sex. 

Shawn Jobe filed a notice of intent to sue the university, as well as the MSU Board of Trustees and former Dean of Human Medicine Aron Sousa, on Jan. 16 in the Michigan Court of Claims. Filing a notice is a required step before pursuing legal action against a public institution like MSU, although it doesn't guarantee a case will make it to court.

Jobe did not respond to an email requesting comment sent to his MSU email. His attorney did not respond to requests for comment.

MSU spokesperson Amber McCann said that the university does not comment on litigation.

Sousa was not immediately available for comment. Sousa resigned from MSU in September 2025 after accepting the position of president of Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science, based in Chicago.

According to the filing, which was obtained by The State News through a public records request, Jobe’s troubles with the university began in October 2022. 

That month, Jobe became aware of patient safety concerns that had been raised by nursing staff within MSU’s Center for Bleeding and Clotting Disorders, a department he oversaw. However, Jobe considered the nursing staff’s concerns “so flagrantly unfounded” that he reported concerns of harassment to MSU.

The next month, Jobe was placed on a performance improvement plan — which he claims he was put on without being given options to contest the decision.

The filing also claims that throughout Jobe’s tenure as director of the Center, he continually reported issues within the department, including violations of patient privacy laws and staff payment problems.

In July 2024, Jobe was told that he was under investigation by the university for allegations brought on by the same employees Jobe had reported. The filing wrote that Jobe was "utterly shocked” by the allegations and fiercely opposed them during the investigation.

In March 2025, Jobe was told by Sousa that he wouldn’t be reappointed as director of the center, and he was terminated in July 2025.  

The filing argues that Jobe, a man, was treated differently from his female colleagues who have found themselves in similar situations. He says that the women were allowed to bring forward unsupported allegations, which were afforded full consideration.

“While female coworkers could maintain their jobs while accused of harassment, Plaintiff was pretextually pushed out,” the filing states. 

Jobe plans to seek monetary compensation, including lost past and future wages and emotional distress. He is also seeking injunctive relief from Sousa, along with attorney fees. 

Support student media! Please consider donating to The State News and help fund the future of journalism.

Discussion

Share and discuss “Former professor alleges sex discrimination, intends to sue MSU” on social media.